Ellern Mede School
DfES Number 302/6118
Registered Charity Number 1098725
The Ellern Mede School is a non-association independent school that exists to provide education for patients at Ellern Mede Ridgeway. The school occupies specialist classrooms at the Ellern Mede Ridgeway. It is staffed by subject specialist teachers and offers a broad creative curriculum and a post-16 skills based curriculum, in addition to taught academic subjects. Ellern Mede School is a registered Centre (No: 12273).
Click here to see Ofsted Report 2009
The school aims to provide an education service that:
• Is relevant and complementary to the treatment programme at Ellern Mede Ridgeway.
• Is consistent with mainstream education.
• Meets the educational needs of each student both as an individual and as a member of the group.
• Provides curriculum coherence through teacher collaboration in planning and evaluating the curriculum.
• Strives for excellence in the quality of teaching and learning.
• Keeps abreast of initiatives, developments and standards in education.
The school provides a stimulating, positive educational experience which promotes good self-esteem and the achievement of realistically high standards of work and behaviour. All young people are recognised for what they can do and supported to overcome difficulties and distress. Students are encouraged to recognise and value difference and to respect and empathise with others.
The school works closely with the clinical teams at Ellern Mede Ridgeway to maintain a therapeutic and positive learning environment, which supports a therapeutic milieu,
"...... a structured environment that provides a variety of human relationships, satisfactory emotional interactions, opportunities for new learning and experiences, mastering of new situations and the development of personal and social competence. It should aim to meet the child’s need for respect, appreciation, approval and praise, to reduce anxiety, guilt and psychological conflict. To strengthen existing competencies and develop new coping skills where possible."
The school will admit any young person who is resident at Ellern Mede Ridgeway and any young person attending the Centre as a day patient.
Students will remain on roll at the school attended prior to admission to the Ellern Mede Ridgeway Centre. Ellern Mede School will work in collaboration with parents and the home school to offer consistency of education to each student and to facilitate the students' reintegration back into the home school.
In circumstances where a young person is not on roll at any other school, and the local authority approves funding, he/she would still be accepted onto the roll of the Ellern Mede School.
School Aims and Ethos
Ellern Mede School aims to maintain the educational achievement of the Young People between the ages of 8 and 18 who are.
At Ellern Mede School we wish to create an environment in which:
• Young People to contribute to school and enjoy learning.
• Young People to achieve their best and should value learning for life.
• Young People to become independent adults who are active citizens, willing to play their part in shaping the world around them for the better.
• Young People to develop a positive self-image.
• Young People to show good motivation.
• Young People to develop confidence when interacting with their peers, offering and using peer support.
• Young People to accept praise, tolerate mistakes and experience pride in and derive satisfaction from their own achievements.
• Young People to understand our core values of commitment to learning, respect for themselves and others, fairness and to demonstrate a good team spirit.
Ellern Mede School will deliver on these aims by:
• Provide an education service which is relevant, complementary to and consistent with the treatment program at Ellern Mede Ridgeway Centre.
• Provide an education service, in partnership with Young People’s home school which is consistent with the experiences of Young People in a mainstream school.
Please contact the Head Teacher should you wish to see any of the school’s policies. Click here to view a list of the School Policies available.
Contacting the teaching team
The school’s teaching staff welcome contact with parents. Please contact your child’s Key Teacher if you require information about your child in school or if you have any concerns regarding your child’s education.
Click here to see the teaching team.